Thursday, September 11, 2008

...freedom...

I was hesitant about expressing my love for freedom today because I love it everyday. This day just seemed fitting and one of the most incredible feelings I have ever had happened right after 9.11.2001. I don't know if I will fully ever understand what it means to be free just because I know nothing but freedom, but I do know that it means the WORLD to me and I do know that I admire those who fight everyday for our freedom... they are true heroes.

So onward with my story:) I am a HUGE HUGE sap and like I said in a previous post (Olympic glory) I live for moments like these. I was a junior in high school during 9.11 and after the attacks (from what I can remember...it was 7 years ago) everyone was kind of trying to put life on hold. I remember (I want to say it possibly was homecoming week, but I could be wrong) that our high school was debating having the football game that week. Of course we thought that was ridiculous, we (being the young high school students that we were) thought this is the best time for us to come together as a community. I am sure that it was debated back and forth, but it happened and we had a game on September 14. I don't remember who we played, what the score was, if we won, how halftime went, but I do remember this...I remember our stands on both sides of Ferguson Field being full, I remember our football team and the opposing football team lining each end zone, I remember color guard presenting the flag on the 50 yard line, I remember standing next to my Rockette Team, I remember the cheerleaders on the opposite side, I remember one of my Rockette sisters and a cheerleader singing the national anthem, I remember the moment of silence where you could have heard a pin drop, and I remember the roar of the crowd cheering for our freedom when the presentation was all done. In all of the football/basketball games I have danced at I have never experienced unity like that and to this moment I can remember that feeling pretty clearly give or take some stuff. I know it may not sound that amazing, but if you were there it really was:)

4 comments:

Brandie Page said...

I'm a sap too Meghan... I remember that a little bit too. It was amazing.

Kirsten Cooley said...

Hi Meghan! You are not nuts...I am so glad that you found me. You are such a cutie and I am glad that we can keep in touch now. I just moved to Virginia last month (for work) and Tanner and I are trying to make this home...nothing compares to Logan but I think it will work :) How are things with you?

Chelsea said...

I totally remember...we played mtn. crest, and remember even brother valburg said a prayer to begin the game over the loud speaker- that was definitely one of my most memorable patriotic event ever! i love the sap in you:) probably because I am just the same!

Ruth Emmett said...

Hey Meghan! I love your blog. Have you found a new job yet? What's new with you? Okay, I have a kind of a random question but my husband and I are looking for a house...I was wondering where it is that you guys are living at? Your house is cute and if it's in West Valley, West Jordan area that's where we want to be. Let me know, it would help a ton!