I had something happen to me at work today that really struck a chord in my soul. It couldn't have happened at a better time than right now as we are about to journey into the Holiday season. I need to do a better job of giving thanks and gratitude everyday instead of during this season.
At work today one of our Pre-School parents came in to pick their son up. While we were waiting for their son to put on his backpack the parents sat down to fill out an application for their son to attend the Elementary Program. The application is very personal and requires a lot of attention on their finances, etc. The parents simply said, "We have nothing, we are living on $300.00 a month if we are lucky because finding a job is so difficult, and we just found out that we are having another child". (Because of the boundaries at my work we are unable to really go more into detail with the parents on their financial status and just have to refer them to the school social worker). After the parents discussed their situation they didn't act ashamed or embarrassed, instead they redirected the conversation and just thanked us and praised us over and over again for the work that we have done with their son. In probably their darkest hour they didn't feel sorry for themselves, they didn't ask for anything, instead they simply THANKED us. Made all of us really step back for a second and know how lucky we are.
So I thought, Meghan life is hard, we are given trials everyday and it is really easy to have pity parties, but I need to take a step back and really focus on what is important in my life...So I thought all day long about how incredibly lucky I am for every thing in my life; whether it is bad, good, annoying, hard, easy, wonderful...I am so lucky to experience it all. Everything we go through makes us who we are, it is our choice on how it will shape us. I am not saying I am going to be positive at all times of my life because that is simply not true...but I am going to fight really hard to have it impact me in a way that will make me a better person. So I just want to take the time to say SOME things that make me who I am and what I am so incredibly thankful for everyday in my life...and these are in no particular order...I will keep some of them short because my cute Drill Girls, I know you know I will go on FOREVER!!! Just pay attention to a particular bullet!!
- I am thankful for my family, I LOVE them to pieces. They made me...Some of the biggest parts of me came from every one of them. I may not talk to some of them very often, but I am so happy that I am a part of who they are.
- Oh my Brandon. What a husband...What a Best Friend!! I love him like crazy.
- My amazing friends...Old & New
- Shelter, Food, Clothing, Water, My bed...Basic Necessities that I know I take for granted every day of my life
- My health, My Ten Fingers and Toes, My Legs, My Feet, My Arms...EVERYTHING
- My Education and the opportunity to continue learning.
- Knowledge of Social Work and how it has taught me to know the person and their situation and NEVER judge
- Dancing...it is my passion and my release
- My Job!!
- I am just thankful for LIFE, LIVING, BREATHING...I could go on and on and on...but I will keep it short and sweet
- And last but certainly not least My Drill Team. The girl's that stress me out, give me Grey hairs, make my stomach turn in knots, make me laugh, make me cry, inspire me, motivate me...the list could go on and on. I am so thankful for YOU!! Since I am writing this on your blog I am going lengthy on this one...
- I am thankful for your dedication, your heart, and your constant desire to be better.
- I am thankful that I get to watch your grow and become better people every single day
- I am thankful that your school is starting to recognize you and they are doing that because you are making a positive impression on them.
- I am thankful that I get to watch you fight and make-up. I want you to realize, as hard as it is right now in the High School frame of mind, that friendship is something to be treasured. Sometimes words hurt and sometimes we say hurtful things to those that we love the most, but we have to let that go...and stop doing that, hug and make-up !! Believe me it is not worth it...being mad only takes away moments that you could be experiencing together.
- I am thankful that I get to see you grow as a team; I get to see you push each other, I get to see you get frustrated with each other, I get to see you work it out, and I get to see moments like Friday when you walked off the football field after you did Military...and I promise you there is not a better feeling than that!!
- I am thankful that I get to go to the Christmas Box House with you and see you interact with those children and for those 90 min. that we are there those children have forgotten how crappy their situation is.
- I am thankful for every early morning practice. And the laughter that most bring.
- I am thankful for the many lessons learned.
- I am thankful to be at every Competition, Performance or School function.
- I am thankful that I am the only Drill Coach in Utah that gets to go to Mass with her team before competitions.
- I am thankful for every one of your personalities!! You all make this team a TEAM!! I am just plain THANKFUL!!
- I am thankful for Carina, Carly, Ash, Lo, Sarah, Shelbs, J.J., Jess, Kaitlyn, Mick, Tay, Bree, Izzie, & Maria
***As you can tell this is why I want you to bring your
Journals tomorrow to practice, also remember your grades***