Wednesday, February 25, 2009

...kids...

So, I have a pretty exciting job...that I LOVE most days. I teach Pre-School to children with Autism. Children amaze me everyday...they are so happy (well you know...most min. of the day), positive (for the most part), silly, excited about everything, and most of all CREATIVE. Today we were out on the playground when this darling little girl that I just love was hanging off the playground equipment...let me script our conversation:)

Me: Rebecca stop hanging off that ledge.

Rebecca: (ignoring me like I am not directly behind her)

Me: Rebecca please stop hanging off that ledge.

Rebecca: (still ignoring me, but I get a little bit of a stink eye from her)

Me: Rebecca you NEED to stop hanging off that ledge. (The program that these children follow is very strict you give them 3 commands in hopes that they follow the first general command...once you say NEED you have to physically prompt them away form whatever they are doing...that is why I have all those random commands)

Rebecca: (she comes towards me STOMPING with her hands in little balls of furry wrapped tightly around her body)

Me: Rebecca you need to go play somewhere else...

Rebecca: (interrupting me) MEGHAN!! YOU ARE WORSE THAN SATAN!!

Me: (laughing my head off)

Rebecca: I am very upset with you!! I have hung off the ledge before...I am telling my mommy...

Needless to say...we made up and she still loves me. I love that she is only 4 years old and I am still laughing that she came up with that!! Kids are so creative!! I am bummed that I made her so mad, but I honestly think it was one of the funniest things I have ever heard!! The children that I work with make me a better person everyday!! I love them and look up to them...they may only be 3, 4, and 5 years old but they have the most amazing outlook on life and teach me to live everyday to the fullest. Their families are so incredibly special and everyday I admire their strength, optimism, and pride!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

How rude of you Meghan... lol I have to say though when I read the title I thought that you were going to start talking about you and brandon having kids... lol

Sarahn, Cade, Memphis, and Dempsey said...

I had no idea you did that! I'm an English Teaching/Communications Minor...and I think I want to get a Masters in Special Education. My little sister has learning disabilities...She had autistic tendencies when she was younger. But she also had seizures until she was 9 (she's 15 now). Anyway--very cool! I'm a little bit jealous! Do you teach at a private school?

Lindsay said...

That is seriously hilarious!!! Your job sounds very fun & rewarding! One of our little nephews who is 7 is severly autistic it is so great to see wonderful people like YOU helping them!!!!

Unknown said...

Isn't it funny...EVERYDAY with those children is funny, funny, funny. Now you know how it is everyday with Cooper! Oh how we love him! This is the conversation him and my mom had the other morning as they were waiting for the bus...

Mom-(as she is holding him) I love you Mr Cooper, Love you, Love you, Love you.

Cooper- (cups my moms face in his hands) Oh mom...you are a crazy, crazy bitch.

LOL.

Kortney said...

Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah!

Bullseye STOP STOP STOP STOP!

Brandi said...

Jon thinks that maybe Rebecca is inspired! Ha Ha! Love ya!

The Cooks said...

That's awesome that you do that, i think i knew that! Teaching is the best. Yes we do need to play more. We leave to hawaii for a week, but let's play when we get back!

Andy and Cecy said...

So after reading your post I decided I need your help.. I have started taking my moms friends son out on one on ones two days a week and he is autistic.. I need some ideas of activites to do with him.If you have any ideas let me know!!

Andy and Cecy said...

He is 5 years old.. what is your e-mail address and I'll email you.

Nat and Jordy said...

I bet you are just the cutest teacher ever! I miss you so much and feel like it has been forever since I have seen you. I wish you and Bandy could have been on our trip with us. Next time for sure! I am so excited to see you tomorrow night!! Love ya girl!